Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

INSCRIBED STONE, ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, LLANFIHANGEL-Y-TRAETHAU

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 275898

Cyfeirnod Map SH53NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SH5949035390

Awdurdod Lleol Gwynedd 

Hen Sir Meirionnydd

Cymuned Talsarnau

Math o Safle CARREG ARYSGRIFENEDIG

Cyfnod Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle This medieval inscribed stone is situated in the churchyard of St Michael's Church (NPRN 43894). it is located to the west of the church, and is a roughly square sectioned pillar stone. Measurements are given as 2m high and 0.15-0.2m wide. The Latin text, inscribed in four vertical lines, has been tentatively reconstructed as 'Here is the tomb of Wleder mother of Hoedlyw who first built this church in the time of King Owain'. As Owain Gwynedd was active between 1137-70, it is assumed that the stone dates to this time.

Sources include:
Parry, 1848, Archaeologia Cambrensis IV 224-227
Nash Williams, 1950, Early Christian Monuments in Wales, 169-170
Beverley Smith, J, Beverley Smith, 2001, History of Merioneth II, 268, 356

John Wiles 05.07.07

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig