Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TOWN CLOCK, THE CIRCLE, TREDEGAR

Site Details



NPRN 32888

Map Reference SO10NW

Grid Reference SO14160884

Unitary (Local) Authority Blaenau Gwent

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Tredegar

Type of Site CLOCK TOWER

Broad Class CIVIL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The town clock, Tredegar, was erected in 1858. It is completely made of cast iron, cast by Charles Jordan of Newport, ironfounder. The clock itself was made by J. Joyce of Whitchurch, Shropshire. It was intended to be illuminated (by gas) and to be prominently visible, in order to be viewed by ironworkers and other townspeople day and night, in addition, the clock struck on the quarter and half-hours. Originally there were flights of iron steps facing each of the four axial streets: these were removed in 1933.

The clock itself is four-sided and stands on a giant Tuscan column, 70 feet (21.34 metres) high. It has a tall square base, the sides with moulded ribs enclosing geometrical compartments, the central ones with inscriptions. The east side is inscribed: 'Chas Jordan, Iron Founder, Newport, Mon'. The south side has: 'Presented to the town of Tredegar from the proceeds of a bazaar promoted by the late Mrs R.P. Davies. Erected 1858'. On the west side is the figure of the Duke of Wellington and: 'Wellington, England's hero'.

The clock is painted cream and red and is set in small square enclosure with 20th century walls and rails.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.
RCAHMW, 2009.

Archive Records