Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BUTE WEST DOCK BASIN, CARDIFF

Site Details



NPRN 34288

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST1922974530

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Butetown

Type of Site DOCK

Broad Class MARITIME

Period Modern

Site Description 1. Opened 1839, large stone blocks, granite coping, circular standards in the coping and iron chains threaded between the standards.
2. The former entrance basin to the Bute West Dock (nprn 34257), opened 1839, now filled in and decked as a public open space and named to disguise its origin the Roald Dahl Plass. The massive stone walling at least is clear. For twenty years until the late 1990s this housed the tug 'Sea Alarm'. It was cut up in place when the Welsh Industrial & Maritime Museum was closed down during the regeneration of Cardiff's dockland. Mermaid Quay festival shopping centre now stands on the site of the WIMM Hall of Power.
(A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 21 March 2005.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites