Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MENAI BRIDGE WAR MEMORIAL, CHURCH ISLAND

Site Details



NPRN 419413

Map Reference SH57SE

Grid Reference SH5510771737

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Menai Bridge

Type of Site WAR MEMORIAL

Broad Class COMMEMORATIVE

Period 20th Century

Site Description Set on the top of a prominant outcrop within the churchyard of the Church of St. Tysilio, Church Island. A First World War memorial designed by Harold Hughes (1864-1940), an important local architect and amateur archaeologist.
A large polished granite Celtic cross war memorial. The head of the cross has a circular surround, with rounded arms extending outwards and the inner cross arms divided by 3-sided celtic knots. Column with chamfered angles and tapering sides with recessed carved panels with inscriptions: "To the glory of God and in memory of those who fell in the war 1914-1918, their name liveth for evermore", and "1939-45", below. The column is set on a square plinth with rounded sides and a raking base inscribed with names.

RCAHMW, 2 December 2013

Digital Images

Archive Records