Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MAESTEG WAR MEMORIAL

Site Details



NPRN 419420

Map Reference SS89SE

Grid Reference SS8531991382

Unitary (Local) Authority Bridgend

Old County Glamorgan

Community Maesteg

Type of Site WAR MEMORIAL

Broad Class COMMEMORATIVE

Period 20th Century

Site Description Located in the footpath in front of St David's Church and on the corner of Talbot Street and High Street at the centre of Maesteg. It was originally erected to commemorate Maesteg's dead of the First World War, the inscription extended to cover the Second World War, and a further inscription added for the Falklands War 1982. The sculpture is signed by L F Roslyn, 1926, and was cast by E J Palenti & Co of London.
Built of white flecked granite. A tall rectangular base erected over 2 steps and plinth with a stepped upper stage carrying a bronze sculpture of two infantrymen, one advancing with bayonet fixed and stepping over his fallen comrade. Inscribed on the base: AT GOF UWCH ANGOF. A bronze leaf motif is applied to all sides of the plinth.
A well-proportioned and handsome war memorial in a conspicous position. (Cadw Listing database)

RCAHMW, 26 November 2013

Digital Images

Archive Records