Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ABERDOVEY COMMANDO SECOND WORLD WAR MEMORIAL

Site Details



NPRN 419569

Map Reference SN69NW

Grid Reference SN6217096073

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Aberdovey

Type of Site WAR MEMORIAL

Broad Class COMMEMORATIVE

Period 21st Century

Site Description A war memorial commemorating the members of 3 Troop 10 (1A) Commando consisting of a rough triangular stone monolith situated at the south-east end of an enclosed green space to the south of the town, near the sea. An inscription on the north-west face of the stone, facing the town, reads:

‘FOR THE MEMBERS OF 3 TROOP (1A) WHO WERE WARMLY WELCOMED IN ABERDYFI WHILE TRAINING FOR SPECIAL DUTIES IN BATTLE 1942-1943 TWENTY WERE KILLED IN ACTION’

The inscription is topped with a sword, point upward, inside a triangle, point downward.

Plaques attached to the wall near the stone explain in Welsh and English that ‘This British Army Commando Troop initially consisted of eighty-six German-speaking refugees from Nazi oppression who were given fictitious names and identities as British nationals for their own protection and effectiveness. Commanded by Major Hilton-James MC, their special duties were reconnaissance, interrogation and intelligence. Deployed singly or in small groups, they rendered distinguished service in the defeat of Hitler’s Germany.’

A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 09.10.2018

Digital Images

Archive Records