Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PENCOED WAR MEMORIAL

Site Details



NPRN 419901

Map Reference SS98SE

Grid Reference SS96018162

Unitary (Local) Authority Bridgend

Old County Glamorgan

Community Pencoed

Type of Site WAR MEMORIAL

Broad Class COMMEMORATIVE

Period 20th Century

Site Description Located in the centre of Pencoed at the junction of Coychurch Road, Hendre Road and Penybont Road. An early twentieth century memorial to those who died in the First World War (1914 - 18), and an additional stone slab names those who died in the Second World War (1939 - 45).
Village war memorial of unusual design, prominently sited in the centre of the village. A statue in the form of an angel is supported on a triangular-plan base and plinth constructed of ashlar stone laid in large blocks. The angel is standing on a globe and holds a club and chain aloft. The base has chamfered angles with hollow mouldings, and a large moulded cornice. Each face has an inset red marble tablet with the names of those who died in 1914 - 1918. The plinth also has chamfered angles and a moulded cornice. It is stepped and has a moulded band. Attached to its east face is a stone block with an inset red marble tablet naming those who died from 1939 -1945. The memorial is set on a platform of octagonal paving surrounded by decorative railings. There is an entrance on the east side formed by a pair of double gates, with six stone steps leading up to the memorial. (Cadw Listing d/base)

RCAHMW, 21 February 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records