Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BANGOR NORTH WALES HEROES WAR MEMORIAL, DEINIOL ROAD

Site Details



NPRN 96380

Map Reference SH57SE

Grid Reference SH5791572119

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Bangor

Type of Site WAR MEMORIAL

Broad Class COMMEMORATIVE

Period 20th Century

Site Description A First World War memorial dated 1923 and designed by the architect D Wynne Thomas. The assessors of the competition were Lord Plymouth and Sir Aston Webb, and the rules stated that the Memorial must be in the form of a building with sculpture as a feature. It was opened by Edward, Prince of Wales on November 1st 1923.

A memorial comprised of a Tudor style, 2-storey gateway constructed of ashlar masonry. It has a crenellated parapet, a cornice, a panelled band at 1st floor level with sunken shields, and a plinth. To the right is a taller, octagonal, stair tower with arched headed lights. There is a mullioned and transomed oriel window with leaded panes, and the section of cornice over this has carved bosses (those to either side are uncarved) while there is a panelled apron below with a Welsh inscription. Slightly set back is a 4-centred arched, central entrance with foliage carved spandrels and a dragon stopped label. Within the arch are timber gates, and there are paired windows to either side.

The rear (N) side is similar with the panelled band continued around the left side. This side has an advanced centre and a 2-light, mullion and transom window under a Tudor style label.

There are 2-stop chamfered beams with stone corbels in the passageway. To the left is a porters door and a window, and there is a similar door to right with a coat of arms.

The foundation stone is inscribed with the architect's name and the inscribed plaque states that it was erected " .......... in memory of the men of North Wales who fell in the Great War 1914-18".
(Source; Cadw listing database)
S Fielding RCAHMW 16/10/2006

The rectangular upper room reached by stone staircase has all round wood carved panels listing the 8,500 named by Parish. Double bronze doors with coats of arms and panelled ceiling with broad ribs.

Digital Images

Archive Records