Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

TON FARMHOUSE, TON ROAD, LLANGYBI

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 20892

Cyfeirnod Map ST39NE

Cyfeirnod Grid ST3649595832

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Fynwy

Hen Sir Mynwy

Cymuned Llangybi (Monmouthshire)

Math o Safle TY

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DOMESTIG

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Early C17th gable entry house, enlarged in 1663 when the upper floor was rebuilt and the porch, parlour wing and a dairy wing were added creating an almost symmetrical house, which was further added to and upgraded with new windows and some fittings in the early/mid C19th. It has been little changed since and is a good survival of a late C17th Monmouthshire farmhouse.

The house is limewashed over rubble stone with Welsh slate roofs. The main house is two storeys and attic with a two storeyed rear wing and extension, and two single storey lean-tos. The main block is a single depth central entrance plan, with a kitchen wing added to the left gable, and a wing with a dairy and an additional bedroom added to the rear of the left room.

The entrance is a three storey porch with gabled roof, with a narrow arch of undressed stone and original plank door of three vertical planks, the joints covered by moulded strips and original strap hinges. The frame is moulded and carries the inscribed date 1663. To the left is a C19th casement under an oak lintel, the form of the window above suggesting the ground floor opening has been slightly enlarged. To the right is a casement under an elliptical head, also altered from a C17th opening. The first floor of the porch has an original casement with ovolo mullion and leaded glazing. To the left is a Victorian casement as before, but apparently in an original opening, while to the right a dripmould survives above a blocked window.

The roof has gable stacks with diamond set flues and in the cross passage position, a square set stack. The right gable end of the main house has a lean-to with small window covering the ground floor. The left gable is covered by the kitchen wing apart from a 2-light casement window to the attic. The wing has one casement to each floor to the front, and the gable end has a door & a 16-pane casement to the left, blocked door above; perhaps intended as a workers' loft.

The rear elevation of the main block has an enlarged 4-pane stair window, a 4-light ogee moulded casement (this is original as is the one above it), a plain plank door to the cross passage, and a 4-pane window to the original living room. This was originally wider but was cut off by the dairy wing. This has a two small 4-pane windows and a 9-pane casement, which are Victorian.

The doorway enters the cross passage which has the stack wall of the original house on the left and panelling of 1663 on the right. The original house is entered through a gable door with a studded door of three planks with moulded raised strips to the joints, which has its original strap hinges, knocker and catch. The door frame is moulded with ogee stops and a shaped head and there are chamfered ceiling beams to the passage. The panelling is ofl panels with moulded studs and bars; and there is a 4-panel door in moulded architrave. The original living room/hall has a Victorian fireplace and a stone firestair behind a C17 plank door with strap hinges. This room leads to the much later kitchen and through a doorway in the back wall into the dairy wing. This wing was added in 1663 and the moulded doorway with its 4-centred head and three plank door with strap hinges is original. The dairy was refitted in the C19 and retains some of its slate shelving and its flagstone floor.

The parlour, beyond the panelled screen, has a fireplace with a lintel decorated with incised flowers and scrolls as is the one in the room above. The jambs have been panelled with oak and have caps. The salt cupboard door to the left is also moulded, and to the left is a timber stair. The ceiling beams have quarter round chamfers and ogee stops as does the room above and both have plaster ceilings with combed mouldings. The upper room has an original plank cupboard door with strap hinges. Another room has a ceiling supported by close set beams as if for a store room above.
(Source; Cadw listing database) S Fielding RCAHMW 17/10/2005

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol