Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

NEWPORT, PEMBROKESHIRE

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 268069

Cyfeirnod Map SN03NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SN0571539106

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Penfro

Hen Sir Penfro

Cymuned Newport

Math o Safle TREF

Dosbarth Cyffredinol SIFIL

Cyfnod Amlgyfnod

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The area surrounding Newport has been occupied since the Mesolithic period, and a rich array of remnants survive, including Carreg Coetan Arthur (NPRN 304320) in the eastern part of the town, the Iron Age hillfort (NPRN 300426) on Carn Ingli to the south of the town, and the various hut circles which surround it. The town as we see it today is a Norman foundation of the FitzMartin family, lords of Cemais from c.1197, who, following a brief seizure of Nevern Castle (NPRN 304392) by Rhys ap Gruffudd in 1191, established the new castle and town downriver at Newport.

Newport Castle was twice destroyed by the Welsh in the early and mid-thirteenth century, causing considerable disruption to the town and its populace, but each time it was quickly rebuilt. Despite periods of decline, Newport's prosperity has always been based chiefly on the agricultural wealth of its hinterland and its excellent coastal position for trading and fishing. During the sixteenth century it began to export cloth and wool from its port, and a new quay was later built to the west at The Parrog (NPRN 408332) in response to silting of the estuary; the port thrived into the nineteenth century.

Source: Driver, T. Pembrokeshire: Historic Landscapes from the Air (RCAHMW, 2007)

K Steele, RCAHMW, 12 January 2009

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig