Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST NON'S CHAPEL, ST DAVIDS

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 301109

Cyfeirnod Map SM72SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SM7507524343

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Penfro

Hen Sir Penfro

Cymuned St Davids and the Cathedral Close

Math o Safle CAPEL

Cyfnod Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle St Non’s Chapel is situated some 600m south of the city of St Davids. It is thought to have early medieval origins and is associated with 7th- to 8th-century cross-incised stone, St Davids 11 (NPRN 423534). St Non’s Chapel is referred to in Rhygyfarch’s late 11th-century Life of St David as the birth-place of St David, and became an importance place of pilgrimage. It fell into disuse after the Reformation and was used as a vegetable garden. A holy well, St Non’s Well (NPRN 32511) is situated some 24m to the north-east. The chapel lies within what appears to be a small subcircular enclosure, visible on aerial photographic coverage. This lies on the northern periphery of a larger curvilinear enclosure (some 135m north-south and 95m east-west), still visible as current boundaries to the south and west, and identified as a bank visible on aerial photographic coverage to the north. Cist graves were reportedly been found inside the chapel prior to 1903. A series of cropmarks extending east from the enclosures are thought to represent former settlement or agricultural activity.

The chapel, a Scheduled Ancient Monument, is now represented by footings and a ruinous wall. It Arguably it has regained a role as a place of pilgrimage, solitude and reflection for the many tourists who now travel the coastal path or make the short walk from St Davids.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2003, Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer

N Vousden, 26 November 2018

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig