Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ROYAL INFIRMARY, GLOSSOP ROAD, ADAMSDOWN, CARDIFF

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 301790

Cyfeirnod Map ST17NE

Cyfeirnod Grid ST1937376884

Awdurdod Lleol Caerdydd

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Adamsdown

Math o Safle YSBYTY

Dosbarth Cyffredinol IECHYD A LLES

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle 1. Cardiff Royal Infirmary was photogrphed by Iain Wright on 23/06/1999, shortly after the hospital's closure as part of the RCAHMW's Emergency Recording Programme.

For an architectural description see: John Newman: "GLamorgan", Buildings of Wales Series, 1995 pp307-308.

The infirmay's history is discussed but not documented by Arnold and Aldis in their centenary history "Cardiff Royal Infirmay 1883-1983" (Cardiff, 1985)

(RFS)

2. Construction on Cardiff Royal Infirmary began in the 1880s, and continued, with the addition of new buildings, over the following forty years. The Tudor Gothic style of the original architects, James, Seward and Thomas, was repeated in each additional structure. The earliest section of the building is the block facing the Glossop Road, consisting of a central block of seven bays with two projecting wings forming a U shaped plan, built 1882--1894. Two and a half storeys high, the most prominent feature of this block is the central tower with square base and octagonal upper section. Further additions include the chapel, with reset early C19 stained glass, the Bruce Vaughan Wing in late Perpendicular style, dated 1909, and the King Edward VII Hospital War Memorial, 1914-1918.
(Source: Site File notes by D.J. Roberts and John Newman 'Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan', 1995, pp. 307-308)
J Hill 19/04/2004

Chofnodion Archifol

Adnoddau Ar-lein