Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

TOWN HALL AND MARKET HALL, MONTGOMERY

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 32055

Cyfeirnod Map SO29NW

Cyfeirnod Grid SO2221696450

Awdurdod Lleol Powys 

Hen Sir Trefaldwyn

Cymuned Montgomery

Math o Safle NEUADD TREF, NEUADD Y FARCHNAD

Dosbarth Cyffredinol SIFIL

Cyfnod 18fed Ganrif, Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Montgomery’s Town Hall is an exceptional example of a large Georgian Town and Market Hall, which was built in 1748 to the design of William Baker of Audlem. It is located in the middle of the crossing point between the town’s town main streets, as was traditional for such halls, and originally comprised an open area below, in which market stalls were laid out, and a room above in which public business took place, which in Montgomery included Quarter Sessions and meetings of the Borough Corporation. The hall was remodelled in 1828, when the upper storey was raised, and in 1900 the arches to the market area below were filled in and fenestration was added.
The building is of red brick, with a deep-eaved hipped roof of small Welsh slate. There is a central clock tower, which was added in 1921. The central arch has folding panelled doors of c.1900, with a large iron radiating-bar fanlight, which is also mirrored on the north and south elevations. There is a flat-roofed extension to the rear of the building, added during the remodelling of 1828.
Source: Cadw Listed Building Record; Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833.
K Steele, RCAHMW, 20 January 2009.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig