Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

YSGOL SYR THOMAS JONES, AMLWCH

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 402737

Cyfeirnod Map SH49SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SH4374692096

Awdurdod Lleol Ynys Mon

Hen Sir Môn

Cymuned Amlwch

Math o Safle YSGOL

Dosbarth Cyffredinol ADDYSG

Cyfnod Anhysbys

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Anglesey had been developing plans for comprehensive education as early as 1936 and this purpose-built comprehensive school is the earliest example of Anglesey's pioneering approach to secondary education in the post-war period, being the first such school in Wales and probably Britain. Begun in 1948, to the design of the architect Kenneth M. Raw under the auspices of county architect N. Squire Johnson, the foundation stone was laid by the Secretary of State for Education, D R Hardyman. The school opened officially in 1950 and building work was completed in 1952-3. It is named after the local doctor who first proposed that education on the island should be open to all.

It is a large spreading school, planned to a high specification that was not always sustained in its successors. The central features are a main hall approached by generous steps and a bare stone tower with a flush stone clock face and the proportions of a Cornish engine house. The link with pre-war civic building is clear and it has separate gyms for boys and girls, a hall and a separate canteen. It represents a clear expression of best-practice for post-war secondary educational building. The school is little changed, some schoolrooms were added to the rear of the school, and a modern theatre built in the late twentieth century.

Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker, The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide (2009), page 94.

RCAHMW, October 2009.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol