Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST MARY'S CHURCH, BETWS-Y-COED

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 406681

Cyfeirnod Map SH75NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SH7936856451

Awdurdod Lleol Conwy 

Hen Sir Caernarfon

Cymuned Betws-y-coed

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle St Mary's Church in Betws-y-Coed was built in 1872–3 to replace the old church that had become too small for the growing number of visitors to the parish. It is an outstanding church, designed by the architects Paley & Austin of Lancaster. The style adopted the noble Transitional between Romanesque and Early English and features a monumental crossing tower, with blind arcading on the south and a stair-turret on the north. The clock stage was added in 1907, and instead of the steep pyramidal roof originally proposed for the tower, an invisible much shallower one was added behind the parapets. The catslide roof to the south transept is particularly striking. The eastern window has plate tracery, and the western is a rose window.

Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker (2009), The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide, page 267.

RCAHMW, October 2009

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol