Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

BLACKWOOD WORKMEN'S HALL AND INSTITUTE, BLACKWOOD MINERS INSTITUTE

Manylion y Safle



NPRN 414818

Cyfeirnod Map ST19NE

Cyfeirnod Grid ST1739797423

Awdurdod Lleol Caerffili 

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Blackwood

Math o Safle SEFYDLIAD Y GLOWYR, SEFYDLIAD Y GWEITHWYR, SINEMA, THEATR

Dosbarth Cyffredinol SIFIL

Cyfnod 20fed Ganrif

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Blackwood Miners Institute opened in 1927 as a single-storey hall and snooker room maintained by a levy on workers' wages. Construction was made possible through a £7,000 grant from the Miners' Welfare Fund in addition to a sum of £850 raised from local miners themselves. The present building took form in 1936 when a further two storeys were added providing the theatre auditorium, reading room and library, committee rooms, and a ladies room. With the decline and eventual demise of the coal mining industry in Blackwood the Insitute fell into disrepair and it was sold to Islwyn Borough Council 1989 to ensure long-term survival. Refurbished, the Institute reopened in 1992 as an arts venue which remains its purpose today.

Daryl Leeworthy, RCAHMW, 16 September 2011.

Chofnodion Archifol