Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S;ST CARANOG'S;ST CRANOG'S CHURCH, LLANGRANNOG

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 105265

Map Reference SN35SW

Grid Reference SN3165154021

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llangrannog

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Cranog's Church is bounded by a road to the south and steeply-sloping scrubland to the north. A stream, the Nabt Hawen runs roughly parallel to the road on its south side. A house named Ffynnon Fair is located some 50m south-east of the church on the south side of the road. Historic Ordnance Survey mapping depicts a spring adjacent to the east side of the house. In 1840 a well known as Ffynnon y Groes was noted a short distance from the churchyard. Whether the two are, in fact, the same well is unclear. During the medieval period the church was a chapelry belonging to Llandisiliogog parish, in the Deanery of Sub-Aeron. It was in the partonage of the Bishops of St Davids. By 1287 the church's tithes went towards the stipend of the Treasurer of the diocese. The church is thought to have become a parish church in the sixteenth century. The church was still in the patronage of the Bishops of St Davids in 1833, when it was a discharged vicarage annexed to that of Llandisiliogogo.

The church is constructed of yellowish sandstone rubble and consists of three-bayed nave, two-bayed chancel, south porch, north vestry and west bellcote. The octagonal font bowl, with vertical roll-mouldings and cylindrical stem and base, is thought to be early thirteenth century in date. In 1810 the church consisted of nave and chancel, with a pointed chancel arch, rood-loft steps and the remains of a western gallery. In 1855 the church was whitewashed. The church was entirely rebuilt in1884, on the foundations of its predecessor.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Ceredigion Churches, gazetteer, 48
Jones, F, 1992, The Holy Wells of Wales

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 9 December 2013

Archive Records

Associated Sites