Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MICHAEL'S CHAPEL, MOUNTON, NARBETH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12170

Map Reference SN01SE

Grid Reference SN0808313254

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Templeton

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Mounton Chapel is situated within a small, rectangular churchyard, which lies within a much larger curvilinear enclosure (depicted as ‘Chapel Field’ on the 1842 tithe map) on the southern edge of Canaston Wood. The enclosure is defined by a hollow way on its west and south-west, and two springs rise in its east half. There is a defended enclosure (NPRN 304430) some 540m to the south-east of the church. During the medieval period the church was either a chapel of ease to Narberth, or a detatched free chapel to Llawhaden as ‘St Michaels otherwise Mouncton’. The parish is thought to have been carved out of Narberth Parish in the 16th-16th century. The church was recorded as ‘Monkton’ in the 15th century.

The church consists of nave and chancel with west porch and west bellcote. It is thought to incorporate 12th-13th century fabric. The building was renovated in 1743, when a chancel arch was added to divide nave and chancel, and a small, west gallery was removed. In 1914 the alter table was described as a small square of grey marble on a wooden frame and the roof and windows were described as modern. The church was in use and repair until 1948. In 1996 it was described as redundant and in poor condition.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2003, Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer

N Vousden, 13 October 2018

Archive Records