Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

EMMANUEL CHURCH, MOLD ROAD, BUCKLEY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12429

Map Reference SJ26SE

Grid Reference SJ2734963963

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Buckley

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church is situated in a churchyard off the south side of Mold Road in Bistre, and is a good example of an early Victorian church which retains interior features of quality and interest.
A grant of £250 was paid towards the construction of the church in 1839 by the Incorporated Society for the Building of Churches. It was designed by John Lloyd and opened in 1842. In 1881 W H Spaull remodelled the building; the west gallery was removed and the chancel was added. A simple vestry was built at the south-east end in 1935.
The exterior is in Gothic Revival style with Early English windows. Coursed dressed stone, slate roof, stone plinth. Aisleless with west tower and narrower shallow chancel. The squat castellated tower has arched louvred bell-openings. There is a triple lancet window on the west face and a gabled central porch flanked by narrow lancets. The nave has simple lancet windows alternating with stepped buttresses. The east elevation has blocked lancet windows flanking a shallow chancel with a triple lancet window. On the north side nave and chancel have stepped angle buttresses at the corners, on the south side a flat-roofed vestry is attached.
Inside, the entrance leads to a vestibule with steps up to the tower on the north side. Twentieth century doors lead to the body of the church which has an exposed timber roof, steps up to the chancel with an open arcaded pitch-pine screen, and steps up to the sanctuary. The east window is enriched with shafts with moulded caps. On the north side of the chancel is an organ, and in front of this a circular stone pulpit with cusped quatrefoil decoration and stone steps. At the south-west end is a simple octagonal font with a cover surmounted by elaborate brass cresting. There are pitch-pine pews with simple floral decoration, some have brass plates with numbers. Stained glass includes windows by Ballantine, 1881; Jones & Willis 1912; A E Child, 1932 and T M Cox, 1950s.
References:
E Hubbard, Clwyd, 1986, p333;
M Seaborne, Victorian and Later Stained Glass Windows in Flintshire Churches, 1996, p1.
(Cadw Listing database)

RCAHMW, 30 September 2014

Archive Records