Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHRIST WELL, MANSELTON ROAD, SWANSEA

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13481

Map Reference SS69NW

Grid Reference SS64919538

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Cwmbwrla

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description The original Manselton Unitarian Chapel was built in 1908 at a cost of cost £2715, to the design of architects H H Dyer and Sons. This chapel was demolished in 1996 and a new building constructed in 1997.

The financing for the new building was provided by a loan from the National Denomination. The ethos for the new complex was to provide a community space that included a chapel, rather than just a place of worship.

The main chapel building sits on the north-west corner of the site, and is octagonal in form. Built of orange brick with yellow brick detailing and a gable to each external wall, internally the space is defined by eight laminated pine crucks that sweep up to a central light well. The communion table is set against the north-west wall and above it is a glazed light in the shape of a cross. Large, stepped, lights form the focus of the walls adjoining on either side creating a light space. The communion table is set on a raised dais, and in front of this is a movable lectern that serves as pulpit. To the rear of the room, large sliding doors allow the chapel to opened out into the est of the complex. Set in the middle of the chapel floor is a baptism pool.

Immediately outside the chapel is a large foyer off which are set a small prayer room, a large sports and activities hall and a children's nursery/play room from which a small garden is accessed. There are also kitchens.

S Fielding June 2018

Digital Images

Archive Records