Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH;ALL SAINTS' CHURCH, TRELYSTAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 149330

Map Reference SJ20SE

Grid Reference SJ2635303936

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Forden

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Multiperiod

Site Description The site of All Saints Church, Trelystan, has a long history, first appearing in the historical record in 1010 when it was the burial-place of Edelstan the Renowned; there is no record of its date of foundation. The current structure dates to the early fifteenth century, and is notable as the only surviving timber-framed church in Wales. It was thoroughly restored in 1856, at which time the timber frame was encased in heavy timber-studded framing with brick nogging, now painted white.
While much of the interior of this church dates to the nineteenth century restoration, the early arch braced timber roof survives, the walls are boarded with parts of old box pews and the flagstone floor incorporates seventeenth and eighteenth century memorial slabs at the east end. In addition there remains a Perpendicular style octagonal font, and a five-light fragment of the medieval rood screen. The church consists of a single-cell nave and chancel, south porch, weatherboarded bellcote with pyramidal roof and continuous louvers, and north vestry.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 25 November 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records