Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MUMBLES LIGHTHOUSE, MUMBLES, OYSTERMOUTH

Site Details



NPRN 180

Map Reference SS68NW

Grid Reference SS6347987167

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Mumbles

Type of Site LIGHTHOUSE

Broad Class MARITIME

Period 18th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The Mumbles Lighthouse was designed by William Jernegan and constructed by the Swansea Harbour Trust between 1791 and 1795. It is built of stone and consists of two octagonal stages, the higher one of smaller diameter than the lower. The light was originally coal-fired, but it was converted to oil-burning in 1798-99 with a single cast-iron and glass lantern (designed by Jernegan and made by the Neath Abbey Ironworks).

RCAHMW, February 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records