Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST OUDOCEUS'S CHURCH, LLANDOGO

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 221047

Map Reference SO50SW

Grid Reference SO5267604081

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Trellech United

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Oudoceus is located on the eastern edge of the village of Llandogo close to the main road (A466), above the river Wye, set in a sloping, polygonal-shaped churchyard with rubble boundary wall.
The church was built in 1859-61 in thirteenth-century Gothic style to designs of architect J.P.Seddon, completely re-building the medieval church. Further work was carried out in 1889 by Seddon and Coates Carter. The church is constructed of snecked Old Red Sandstone with Bath stone dressings under a Welsh slate roof with stone parapets and crucifix finials; both inside and out polychromatic interplay is made between the mauve sandstone and ochre Bath stone. The building consists of nave under a steeply-pitched roof with lean-to aisles, chancel slightly lower with roof as steeply pitched and with lean-to north organ chamber (1889), and south porch. The showpiece west gable front is the main entrance distinctive for its octagonal bellcote, with tall spire surmounted by a weathervane, and central gabled and stone-roofed porch. The exterior portrays many more decorative features.
Inside, the church is plastered and painted, the banding of mauve and ochre more restrained. The arcades have slender circular piers, moulded capitals and double-wave moulded arches. The narrow chancel is entered through a high but steeply-pointed arch. The chancel features wall paintings by Seddon & Carter also responsible for the reredos in alabaster and white marble. Other fittings include font and pulpit of stone. Stained glass includes works by Hardman (1879), Heaton, Butler & Bayne (1908), and Kempe & Co (1929).
Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description; J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (2000), p.274-5.

RCAHMW, 10 March 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records