Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

GATEHOUSE AND GOVERNOR'S RESIDENCE;GREYSTONES, MOLD PRISON, MOLD

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 23453

Map Reference SJ26SW

Grid Reference SJ2291262936

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Mold

Type of Site PRISON GOVERNORS HOUSE

Broad Class CIVIL

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The former gatehouse and Governor's residence was built in 1870 by Martin and Chamberlain of Birmingham. Built to replace Flint Gaol, Mold Prison became redundant under prison act of 1877. In 1881 it became St David's French Jesuit Seminary. Utilized as detention barracks during the First World War it later became a convent school. In 1924 it was sold by the Spanish ecclesiastical authorities and the cell blocks demolished in the late 1930s. Currently sub-divided into two dwellings.
Source: Cadw Listed Buildings.
ALH, RCAHMW, 23/04/2012.

Archive Records