Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST FFRAID'S CHURCH;ST BRIDE'S CHURCH;ST BRIDGET'S CHURCH, LLANSANTFFRAID-YM-MECHAIN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 300165

Map Reference SJ22SW

Grid Reference SJ2204820398

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llansantffraid

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Llansantffraid Parish Church is dedicated to the early Irish St. Bridget, also known as St. Bride/Ffraid; the date of foundation is a source of debate, ranging from the early twelfth century, based upon an Early English window in the north wall of the nave, to the thirteenth/fourteenth centuries, when the older window could have been inserted into new masonry. The church was originally a single cell nave and chancel, but has been extended and restored many times since its first foundation. Throughout the church patching is visible on the stonework, in part due to dilapidation, but also due to damage sustained during the rising of Owain Glyndwr.
There are a diverse range of historical features in Llansantffraid Church which demonstrate its continuing importance within its community; fenestration added in 1619, 1669, 1703 and 1706, seventeenth century wooden panelling, an unusual Georgian north transept added in 1727, a timber-framed porch paved with centuries old headstones, and the nineteenth century rood screen. In 1891-3 a thorough restoration was carried out by J. Oldrid Scott, from which date the north arcade, vestry and span-roof originate, but pains were taken to maintain much of the original character of the church during these works.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 25 November 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources