Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 301591

Map Reference SN97NW

Grid Reference SN9077979909

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llangurig

Type of Site CHURCH


Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Llangurig Parish Church was reputedly founded by St. Curig, who died c.550, and is now dedicated to him. It has been claimed that in the twelfth century it became part of the abbey lands of Strata Florida, but the first solid record of its existence was in 1254. Much of the limestone rubble-built walling in evidence today dates from the late twelfth and early thirteenth centuries, though there has been extensive restoration.
The church consists of nave, chancel, south porch which was rebuilt in the nineteenth century, west tower originally built in the fifteenth century, but later restored and crenellated, and north vestry. The roof was originally thatched, but re-roofed in Welsh slate when Sir George Gilbert Scott restored the church in the Early English style. The fenestration dates from various periods, and is largely re-set from its original position. The interior of the church is plastered and painted, with nineteenth century furnishings. The churchyard is surrounded by masonry walling with a gabled lychgate from the eighteenth century. Within the churchyard is a memorial foundain (NPRN 32914) and a sundial in memory of Thomas Hamer.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 28 November 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records