Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MICHAEL'S PARISH CHURCH, LLANFIHANGEL RHYDITHON

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 303233

Map Reference SO16NE

Grid Reference SO1513766709

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Radnorshire

Community Llanfihangel Rhydithon

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The parish church Saint Michael and All Saints is located on an elevated site on the south side of the A483. The church is a nineteenth-century building on a more ancient site, entirely rebuilt in 1833-4 to designs of Benjamin Wishlade, County Surveyor. It consists of nave and short, narrower, chancel with gabled north-east vestry. A battlemented tower-cum-porch in contrasting rock-faced stone was added to the west gable in 1906 by R.Wellings Thomas. Repairs were carried out in 1891 by S.W.Williams. In 1907 the 1830s iron windows were replaced with Decorated ones by Wellings Thomas who also added the tie-beam roof with struts and open roundels. Fittings include a small, plain octagonal font, possibly of fifteenth-century date. Stained glass includes works by J.Stephenson (east window, 1907) and Howard Martin and Hubert Thomas (south nave, 1939).
The church stands within a rounded churchyard with some interesting eighteenth-century gravestones. The church was not listed in the 1993 community resurvey. (R.F.Suggett /2002).
Source:
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.365.

RCAHMW, 25 August 2015