Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETER'S CHURCH, GOETRE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 307332

Map Reference SO30NW

Grid Reference SO3271005926

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Goetre Fawr

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Peter's church is located in Goetre hamlet, to the north of Penperlleni. It was built in 1845-6 to designs of architects Wyatt & Brandon, replacing a medieval building. Built of snecked Old Red Sandstone and Bath stone dressings, the church consists of nave with west double bell gable and south porch, and lower chancel. It has Middle Pointed proportions but Perpendicular details, intended as an echo of the old church. The font is Norman of local type with concentric circles incised above a rope moulding. Stained glass includes works by Heaton, Butler & Bayne (1903), Joseph Bell & Co (1921) and Celtic Studios (1985 & 86).
Source: J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (2000), pp.229-30.

RCAHMW, 6 March 2015

Archive Records