Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLOYDS BANK, 268 HIGH STREET, BANGOR

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 308415

Map Reference SH57SE

Grid Reference SH5827472125

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Bangor

Type of Site BANK (FINANCIAL)

Broad Class COMMERCIAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Built in 1858 by Weightman, Hadfield and Goldie of Sheffield for the Messrs Williams and Co. Bank; taken over by Lloyds Bank before 1883. Extended by two bays to right (?early C20).

Constructed in the Jacobethan style, 2-storeys, 7-window front (originally symmetrical). Built of dressed stone with plinth, cornice, overall cill bands and stringcourse over ground floor. Slate roof with parapet pierced in three places and with finials, octagonal stone chimney stacks- chimney breast at left end is corbelled out at first floor level. To the left of centre is a shaped gable over atwo storey porch with pierced parapet decorated with a cornice and fluted entableture. The ground floor sports Tuscan pilasters, with ionic one on the first floor. There is an arched entrance with a keystone and strapwork ornamented spandrels, with a panelled door over which is a fanlight. At the right end is another 6-panelled door with an overlight. The window frames have ovolo cross moulding.

to the front of the building are cast iron railings, with gate piers linked to the entrance porch by balustrades. To the left a low stone wall projects forward creating a small courtyard woth corner ball finials, and an arched gated entrance with decorative ironwork fanlight. Long cross range extends to the left rear and shorter one to the centre-both rendered and gable-ended.
(based on CADw listing description, S Fielding RCAHMW 11/05/2005)

Digital Images

Archive Records