Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, EWENNY PRIORY;PRIORY CHURCH NAVE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 309096

Map Reference SS97NW

Grid Reference SS91247780

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Ewenny

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description St Michael's Church is the west part of Ewenny Priory Church on the east side of the complex. The west part became the parish church following the Dissolution. Maurice de Londres was buried in the church and his still surviving tombstone calls him the founder. The main fabric is 12th century, the south porch and north aisle being 16th century. The nave was repaired and aisle rebuilt in 1895-6. The building is of stone rubble construction with ashlar dressings and a slate roof. Romanesque style. The east side adjoins the Priory church crossing and chancel, which remain in separate ownership.

Associated with:
Priory church: Nprn 309098
Priory: Nprn143.

(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 01.10.2003

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites