Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST TYDFIL'S CHURCH, HIGH STREET, MERTHYR TYDFIL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 394

Map Reference SO00NW

Grid Reference SO0495505812

Unitary (Local) Authority Merthyr Tydfil

Old County Glamorgan

Community Town

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1. St Tydfil's Church was built on the site of the martyrdom of St Tydfil in the fifth century AD. The entire church was rebuilt 1895-1901 to designs by J L Pearson, architect of London, retaining the eighteenth-century lower storeys of the tower. It was closed for worship in 1968.

RCAHMW, February 2011

2. St Tydfil's church lies in an enclosed churchyard at the south end of High Street and was built on the site of a medieval church, reputedly the place where St Tydfil was martyred in the fifth century. Some re-building occurred in 1820-1 but the entire church was rebuilt in 1895-1901 to designs of architect J.L.Pearson of London. The present church is constructed of iron-stained Pennant sandstone and Bath stone dressings with bull-nosed facings, slate roofs and crucifix finials. Designed in a Burgundian Romanesque style, the church consists of chancel with semi-circular apse, aisled four-bay nave (without clerestory), short transept chapels, a tall four-stage west tower with circled stair turret in north-west angle, gabled south porch, and north-east vestries and priest’s room. The colourwashed interior features groin vaulting to the chancel and flanking chapels, twin roll-moulded transverse arches, pilaster responds and varied capitals with crockets, waterleaf and acanthus, and flat nave ceiling. Furnishings include a medieval octagonal font (under the tower); Pearson’s round, panelled pulpit; a pelican lectern; and good neo-classical wall monuments from the earlier church. Against the north wall is a pair of Early Christian carved stones, one being the famous ring-cross, incised pillar stone of ARTBEU (NPRN 301391); the other the ANNICIUS stone. Stained glass includes works by Newbery (1896).

Sources: Extracts from Cadw Listing description; J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.435-7.
RCAHMW, 3 June 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records