You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Michael And All Angel's Church, Manafon

Loading Map
NPRN400219
Map ReferenceSJ10SW
Grid ReferenceSJ1131002476
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
CommunityManafon
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
St. Michael and All Angel's Church, the parish church of Manafon, dates back at least to the fifteenth century, and although extensive restoration took place in 1859 and 1898, the original form of the church has been retained. The unplastered walls of this single-celled church are built from small rubble and tabular shale, and the fifteenth century eight-and-a-half bay roof retains its original slate tiling. The fenestration is primarily Victorian, but the vestry, added in 1859, includes a window glazed with re-set fifteenth century glass. The medieval stoup by the south door was exposed during restoration, and the timbered belfry supports an early fourteenth century bell, the earliest of only seven medieval bells remaining in the county.
The majority of the fixtures and fittings of St. Michael's date to the restorations in the nineteenth century though some earlier elements are incorporated, such as the seventeenth and eighteenth century fielded panelling re-used as dado panelling. The church offers a fine example of the high quality work of eminent architect, John Douglas. In the churchyard an eighteenth century sundial plate and original gnomon can be found 100m south of the south door.

Source: Cadw Listed Buildings Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 November 2008