Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST THOMAS'S CHURCH, BYLCHAU, LLANSANNAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400556

Map Reference SH96SE

Grid Reference SH9763862991

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Denbighshire

Community Llansannan

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Thomas is located in the village of Bylchau, on the north-east slopes of Mynydd Hiraethog.
The church was built in the Early English style to plans of G.G.Scott and consecrated on 27 October 1857. Built in dark rock-faced stone with slate roofs, it consists of chancel and nave under a single roof, gabled north porch, corbelled west bell-gable and lean-to south (?) vestry. Inside, the nave and chancel are separated by a timber arch, marked externally by buttressing. The church is lit through cusped lancets. Contemporary stained glass in the east window is by Wailes.
Sources:
E.Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986), p.114.
D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.2 (1911), p.7-8.
Google Street View, August 2009.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 25 September 2015

Archive Records