Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BLACK LION INN, LLANFAETHLU

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 403490

Map Reference SH38NW

Grid Reference SH3197686432

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llanfaethlu

Type of Site PUBLIC HOUSE

Broad Class COMMERCIAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description An inn which is part of a late 18th or early 19th century linear range, the inn being at the left (North) end. It has later alterations and additions. The 1841 census returns for the parish lists Elinor Jones as the publican, with her husband William recorded as being a joiner; also listed are Owen Lewis, shoemaker, and his family, and William Thomas, also a shoesmith.

The Public House is a long, 3 window, range perhaps originating as a 2-unit house and cottage. There is a doorway in a porch between the two left hand windows, with two further closely spaced windows in the right hand bay. The windows are 20th century casements, probably replacing earlier sashes, with shaped, eared and shouldered architraves. The first floor windows are set directly under the eaves.
(Source; Cadw listing database) S FIelding RCAHMW 20/09/2005

Digital Images

Archive Records