Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MATTHEW'S CHURCH, HIGH STREET, SWANSEA

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 404160

Map Reference SS69SE

Grid Reference SS6569593753

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Castle (Swansea)

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Matthew's church is located on the west side of High Street in a rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery. It was built in 1823-4 to the designs of William Jernagan on the site of a medieval chapel. But the church was substantially altered in 1886 by Bucknall and Jennings, architects of Swansea, possibly incorporating some earlier fabric, when the building was extended westwards and the lancet windows were replaced.
The church is constructed of coursed rubble with freestone dressings. Built in a mixed Romanesque and Classical style, it consists of unaisled nave, chancel, and west gable lean-to porch. Inside, the nave has an open boarded roof, tie beams with thin Gothic braces. The short chancel is formed by a sub-classical, triple-arch arrangement. Windows are all of sub-classical style. According to Ordnance Survey mapping the church was previously dedicated to St John.
The church ceased to be a place of worship after the final service was held on 28 March 2004. After some redevelopment the building is now occupied by The Cyrenians charity as a community centre.
Sources:
extracts from Cadw Listing description.
J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.585.
OS County Series 25-inch maps: sheet Glamorgan XXIV.5, first edition of 1878.
http://www.cyrenians-community-centre.co.uk/build2.shtml

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 18 May 2015

Archive Records