You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Ammonia House;heartlands House, Former Ivor Iron Works, Dowlais

Loading Map
NPRN407515
Map ReferenceSO00NE
Grid ReferenceSO0674008090
Unitary (Local) AuthorityMerthyr Tydfil
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityDowlais
Type Of SiteIRON WORKS
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
This was the last remaining industrial building of the former Ivor Iron Works from the pre-British Steel period. The Ivor Iron Works opened in 1839 as an extension to the Dowlais Iron Works, initially with four blast furnaces. British Steel operated a foundry from the mid C20 which closed in 1987. This building was possibly built as a blast engine house but is more probably the sulphate of ammonia plant completed in 1928, as part of the coke and by-product plants constructed 1922-28. Sulphate of ammonia was one of the by-products of coke production, crude benzyl and tar being others. The building was converted some time between 1930 and 1949 to a general and electrical stores. It is red brick with slate eaves roofs and there are two sections both of two-storeys.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings ( NJR 04/03/2008)