Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

AMMONIA HOUSE;HEARTLANDS HOUSE, FORMER IVOR IRON WORKS, DOWLAIS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 407515

Map Reference SO00NE

Grid Reference SO06740809

Unitary (Local) Authority Merthyr Tydfil

Old County Glamorgan

Community Dowlais

Type of Site IRON WORKS

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description This was the last remaining industrial building of the former Ivor Iron Works from the pre-British Steel period. The Ivor Iron Works opened in 1839 as an extension to the Dowlais Iron Works, initially with four blast furnaces. British Steel operated a foundry from the mid C20 which closed in 1987. This building was possibly built as a blast engine house but is more probably the sulphate of ammonia plant completed in 1928, as part of the coke and by-product plants constructed 1922-28. Sulphate of ammonia was one of the by-products of coke production, crude benzyl and tar being others. The building was converted some time between 1930 and 1949 to a general and electrical stores. It is red brick with slate eaves roofs and there are two sections both of two-storeys.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings ( NJR 04/03/2008)

Archive Records