Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 411738

Map Reference SH87NW

Grid Reference SH8496379014

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Denbighshire

Community Colwyn Bay

Type of Site SHOP


Period 19th Century

Site Description Number 11-11A , Station Road, formerly number 3 of the nine Queen's Buildings, forms part of a terrace of shops which were built c1887 to the designs of Booth, Chadwick and Porter, architects of Colwyn Bay and Manchester.They were the principal architects to the Colwyn Bay and Pwllycrochan Estate Company, who were largely responsible for the development of Colwyn Bay as a resort after 1875. The building which is now Liberties Bar, housed a court and the offices of the Colwyn Bay and Pwllycrochan Estate Company.

It is a three-storey red brick building with slate roof, blue brick and stone dressings. Each shop in the terrace is a two window range with a single crow stepped gable.There is a modern shop front with timber framed windows either side and a central entrance with fully glazed, timber framed sliding doors on the development site. Above the shop front the original design features survive with two squared oriel windows with scallop tiled lean-to roofs supported on curved brackets on first floor, with the bays supported on brackets and divided into three light by mullions. Windows on the second floor are two segmentally arched windows with high set transoms and low relief's in the tympana. On top of the bulding, is the stepped gable separated from neighbouring properties by outer and central angled corbelled pilasters with ball finials.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings and design and access statement, NJR 05/10/2010

Archive Records