Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

DWYFOR, THE CLOSE, LLANFAIRFECHAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 411860

Map Reference SH67SE

Grid Reference SH6850074865

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanfairfechan

Type of Site HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period 20th Century

Site Description The Close was designed by Herbert Luck North (1871–1941), the foremost Arts and Craft architect of his age in Wales, and constructed between 1923 and 1940, with number 23, named Dwyfor, constructed in c.1937.

Dwyfor is a two-storey house constructed of concrete brick cavity walls covered with roughcast render and painted white, roofed in small slates from Gallt-y-Llan Quarry (NPRN 419098). In style, it is very similar to number 21, Hillcrest (NPRN 411859), albeit smaller. The entrance is through the original pointed doorway within a central internal Gothic arch surrounded by a wooden gabled slated canopy positioned centrally in a façade with paired steep gables facing The Close. The rear façade has a central entrance through a narrow, pointed arch flanked by shallow buttresses, above which are narrow small-pane windows flanking a circular window. Casement windows in both front and rear from Henry Hope & Sons. The central chimney between the high peaks of the gables is of red brick with slates sharply peaked over the flues. At the rear of the building is a garage with hipped slate roots and roughcast render walls.

(Sources: Cadw Listed Building Description, Ref No 3550; Richard Haslam, Julian Orbach and Adam Voelchker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2009), pp. 438–39)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 20.02.2019

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources