Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANLLWCHAEARN 1

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 420120

Map Reference SN35NE

Grid Reference SN3848259895

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community New Quay

Type of Site CROSS INCISED STONE, INSCRIBED STONE

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description Llanllwchaerarn 1, a fragmentary, quadrangular sandstone pillar with two carved faces, is mounted on the internal north wall of the chancel (at the west end). The stone is thought to date to the eighth or early ninth century. It was first noted in 1808. The stone lay loose in the church from the 1930s but was not identified until 1997.

The stone measures height 72cm x width 17cm x diameter 7.5cm. It has been fractured across the top, bottom and lengthways. Both faces have toolmarks and are dressed, although the dressed surface may be a result of the stone having been reusedas masonry. Face A is carved with a cruciform design in low relief. Face B has a fragmentary, roughly incised interlace motif, which may have been part of an interlace pattern.

Sources include:
Edwards, N. 2013, A Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculpture in Wales: Volume III North Wales

N Vousden, 13 May 2014

Associated Sites