Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST GARMON'S CHURCH, ST HARMON

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421214

Map Reference SN97SE

Grid Reference SN9888972857

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Radnorshire

Community St Harmon

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Garmon is located in a raised circular churchyard above the north side of the B4518. It was built, on the site of an earlier church, in 1821 to designs of W.Evan, and restored in 1908 by R.Wellings Thomas. It is built of stone rubble with paler dressings and slate roofs, and consists of nave and gabled south porch retaining its large pointed doorway of 1821, short and narrower chancel (added in 1908), and gabled north organ chamber. The Perpendicular tracery and the interior both date from 1908. Interior features include the double chamfered chancel arch and a big Tudor arch into the organ chamber. The font is of twelfth-century date, a round bowl with projecting carved heads. The pulpit is of Caen stone with Perpendicular cusping. Stained glass includes works by A.O.Hemming & Co (1921) and Celtic Studios (1979).
Sources:
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.412.
Google Street View, August 2011.

RCAHMW, 28 August 2015