Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST BARNABAS' CHURCH, WAUNARLWYDD, SWANSEA

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421343

Map Reference SS69NW

Grid Reference SS6048095270

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Cockett

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Barnabas is located at the end of a short lane off the south side of Victoria Road, in a rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery. It is a small Victorian church built in the Early English style some time in the period 1879-1899. It is constructed of sandstone rubble with finer, paler dressings, under a steeply-pitched slate roof. It consists of nave and narrower chancel with south vestry under a catslide roof, west bellcote, and north-west gabled entrance. The church is lit through lancet windows. Conjoining on the south is a hall with parallel pitched roof, rendered walls, and with a gabled porch on the west end wall.
Sources:
http://www.saintbarnabaschurch.org.uk/
http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/images/swansea/swansea/waunarllwydd2.jpg

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 27 November 2015

Archive Records