Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PHOENIX BUILDINGS, MOUNT STUART SQUARE, BUTETOWN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 423042

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST1899674696

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Butetown

Type of Site OFFICE

Broad Class COMMERCIAL

Period 20th Century

Site Description The Pheonix Buildings, named after John Tudor Phoenix, a member of the building syndicate, was built in 1901 on the former site of Siloam Chapel (Welsh Baptist, built 1859), and much of the former chapel is incorporated into the current structure.

The three-storey building consists of three bays as well as a narrower single bay to the south. The ground floor is constructed of bathstone on a grey stone plinth. There is an entrance with fanlight in a round-headed opening in the centre of the three main bays, with round-headed windows to right and left. The southernmost bay contains another round-headed entrance with exaggerated keystone and voussiors above which is a carved phoenix. The ground floor is topped with a narrow cornice. The upper-two stories are of brick with bathstone dressings with paired square-headed windows in the main bays and single windows in the narrow bay. The main bays are articulated by bathstone pilasters with Ionic capitals, with massive brick pilasters at the ends of the building and between the main bays and the narrow southern bay. The frieze is inscribed with the words ‘PHŒNIX BUILDINGS’ above the main elevation and ‘1901’ above the narrow southern bay. The building is topped with a dentil cornice, and low parapet partially obscuring a hipped roof.

(Source: Cadw listed buildings database)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 13.07.2018

Digital Images

Archive Records