Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CLWT GWLYB, NEWBOROUGH, YNYS MÔN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 424663

Map Reference SH46SW

Grid Reference SH41876438

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Rhosyr

Type of Site COTTAGE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period 19th Century

Site Description Information from Level 2 Building Record and Watching Brief of Clwt Gwlyb, Newborough, carried out by Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 2019:

The building at Clwt Gwylb appears to be the remains of a stone built smallholders cottage built in the vernacular style. The cottage is not depicted on the tithe map of 1846, though the 1” Ordnance Survey map of c. 1840 does show a building there which is called Pen Clwt Gwlyb. The cottage, labelled as Clwt Gwlyb, is represented on the Ordnance Survey 25 inch First Edition Map (1889); Second Edition Map (1900); and Third Edition Map (1920).
Census returns indicate it was sporadically occupied during the 19th century, in 1881 by a sailor and his family, one of whom was a mat
maker, both important local trades in the area. Clwt Gwlyb was probably occupied into the first half of the 20th century,
though it may have been derelict by 1945. An aerial photograph of 1945 appears to show the building with no roof, suggesting it was abandoned prior to this date.
The cottage was stone-built and aligned northeast-southwest, with the main front facing southeast. Two out-houses are attached in-line to the north-east gable and the remains of a small enclosure that encircled the south-west and south-east sides are just visible as low banks. The main part of the cottage measures 8m x 5m externally, with stone walls 0.6m thick. The walls are mortared with a pebbly lime mortar, and stand at their highest on the west side just over 2m high. The south front, which contained a central door flanked by a window on either side, and is largely collapsed. A single small window may be visible at the
west end of the north (rear) wall. The fireplace was at the south-west end, but this has largely collapsed. There are no remains of the roof surviving, apart from a large amount of roofing slate within the demolition material. The two extensions attached to the north-east gable are approximately 2m wide and 1.5m wide.

RCAHMW, 15th January 2020

Archive Records

Online Resources