Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TRADITIONAL SITE OF EGLWYS EDERYN AND EARLY MEDIEVAL CEMETERY;BODEDERN EARLY CHRISTIAN CEMETERY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43589

Map Reference SH38SW

Grid Reference SH3413580015

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Bodedern

Type of Site CEMETERY

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Early Medieval

Site Description Traditionally the site of a medieval chapel dedicated to Edern, this is possibly the 'ancient rem.' of the Ordnance Survey's Surveyors' drawings of 1818-23. An excavation here in 1971 uncovered part of an extensive inhumation cemetery that had originally been confined within a curvilinear ditched enclosure. Some of the earliest graves were aligned north-south. The ditch was later filled in and graves spread beyond it. A 'central feature' was identified. In the final phase of the cemetery this may have been a small timber oratory. Several of the graves had stone cists. One of this re-used a stone bearing the inscription, ERCAGNI - of Ercagnus or Erchan.

Source: White in the Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society & Field Club for 1971-2, 19-51

John Wiles, RCAHMW, 03 August 2007

Digital Images

Archive Records