Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST GWENLLWYFO, OLD PARISH CHURCH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43610

Map Reference SH49SE

Grid Reference SH4855790062

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llaneilian

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description The old St Gwenllwyfo Church was abandoned in 1856 when a replacement church was built, and the ruins are now roofless and overgrown. The surviving structure consists of a continuous nave and chancel which, though it has medieval origins, was heavily restored in the eighteenth century. The result is that most the present details are eighteenth century, although the stone benches along the north and south walls may be earlier. The roof once had late medieval trusses.

B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 13 March 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites