Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHRIST CHURCH, TALSARNAU

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43833

Map Reference SH63NW

Grid Reference SH6127936027

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Talsarnau

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description Christ Church is a small church situated adjacent to the main road (A496) at the northern end of Talsarnau. It was built in 1871 for services in English, under the patronage of Lord Harlech. The building was designed by W.H. Spaull. It is constructed with coursed large slabs of local stone, finer, paler window dressings and has a steep patterned-slate roof. It consists of a single small chamber with a canted apse and a west bellcote. The entrance is in the west end wall though early maps suggest there was once a porch here the footings of which still survive. Windows contain contemporary stained glass (by Edmundson and sons) in the sanctuary apse, nave and west gable end.
The church was declared redundant in 2014.

Sources:
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.703.
Google Street View, August 2015.
www.stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/site/431
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3906817

D Leighton & N Vousden, RCAHMW, 1 April 2016