You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Beuno's Church, Llanycil

Loading Map
NPRN43858
Map ReferenceSH93SW
Grid ReferenceSH9146934868
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyMerioneth
CommunityLlanycil
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
St Bueno's Church isfirst mentioned in documents of 1291. It is situated within a rectilinear churchyard, whose northern boundary is delineated by the A494, and southern boundary is delineated by Llyn Tegid;Bala Lake (NPRN 407940). The west boundary follows the course of a stream, Aber gwenwyn feirch, at the point where it enters Llyn Tegid;Bala Lake. A holy well, Ffynnon Bueno, was formerly situated in close proximity to the church. Within the churchyard is the grave of Welsh Methodist, David Charles (1755-1814). He was famous for his preaching and leadership of the Welsh Methodists, and a statue was erected to him in Bala in 1895. The churchyard was extended to the north in 1897 and to the east in 1944. The churchyard entrance is via a Victorian lych gate in its north-west boundary. This was renovated in 1987. On the exterior of the churchyard wall are some semi-circular steps, thought to have been the steps of a former cross and later sundial. On the west end of the church's exterior south wall is a memorial tablet to John Vaughen, Cefn Bodig (NPRN 28276) dated 1671. the former Rectory is sited to the immediate north of the church, seperated from it by the A494 road.

The church is a Grade II listed building constructed of local rubble stone. Roman brick or stone, reputedly from Caer Gai Roman fort and Military Settlement (NPRN 95436), is visible in the lower courses of walls where the porch meets the north wall. The building consists of a continuous nave and chancel with west bellcote, north porch and south vestry. The lower walls are thought to be medieval. The remains of a rood screen and gallery, were noted in 1729. Wall paintings were also noted at this time. The church was restored, including the rebuilding of the porch, in 1881. The windows are thought to date to this time, as does the vestry.

Sources include:
Beverley Smith, J, Beverley Smith, Ll, 2001, History of Merioneth II, 363-364
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 2000, Historic churches of Gwynedd: gazetteer, 391

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 6 July 2012
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfCPATP - Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust Project Archives
application/pdfCPATP - Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust Project Archives