Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

DWELLING HOUSE OF YNYSLAS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 506337

Map Reference SN69SW

Grid Reference SN61719318

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Borth

Type of Site FARMHOUSE

Broad Class AGRICULTURE AND SUBSISTENCE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The house, encircled by streams, is depicted on the early chart of the mouth of the Dyfi compiled by Lewis Morris in 1740 and on T Lewis' map of Cor Fochno dating to 1790. The house is referred to in Sales Particulars dating to 1862 as having a cart house, which appears to be adjoining according to the accompanying map. The fields associated with the then tenant, William Evans, are to the east. The house became associated with the East Wharf saw mill developed by Jones and Griffiths. It appears that the carthouse was converted into a dwelling as, in Sales Particulars dating to 1910, the house and carthouse are described as 'two cottages and premises known as Ynyslas cottages'. At that time, the buildings were in the occupation of Messrs Richard Fuller and John Griffiths at a combined rental of £9 2s per annum.'

Sources include:
Cardiganshire Sales Particulars 51, National Library of Wales
Lewis, T, 1790, Map of the Cors Fochno, National Library of Wales
Map 7613, National Library of Wales

Morris, L, 1740, Plans of Harbours, Bars, Bays and Roads in St George's Channel, National Libary of Wales

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, January 2010.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources