Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CADOC'S CHURCH, ABERPERGWM

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 54235

Map Reference SN80NE

Grid Reference SN86980614

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Glynneath

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Anglican church, originally a C17 chapel of ease to Cadoxton, rebuilt in 1808-1809 for the Williams family of Aberpergwm and extended with chancel in 1836-41. Graded II* for the unusual pre-ecclesiological Gothic interior combining Georgian plaster ceilings with neo-Norman chancel arch and important medieval effigies brought in to enhance the antique effect. Source: Cadw list description, 2004. 2004.02.26/RCAHMW/SLE

[Additional:] The stained glass in the E. window of St Cadoc's Church incorporates four panels from Steinfeld Abbey. A fifth panel has been discovered at The R.C. chapel at Llanarth. See the account by Roger Rosewell and David King, 'The Recent Discoveries from Steinfeld Abbey', 'Vidimus' (available on-line), 2010. The main collection of displaced glass from Steinfeld Abbey is in the Victoria & Albert Museum. R.F. Suggett/RCAHMW/October 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records